Sunday, November 13, 2011

The beginning...

My family has recently decided to convert to Catholicism. It has been a wonderful experience so far so I thought I would start a blog about it. I grew up Episcopal, my husband was Methodist, and our daughter was also baptized Episcopal. We moved about seven years ago and had a difficult time finding a church we liked in the new neighborhood. We tried the local Episcopal, but it was not a very friendly church and there were other issues that came up later on. We felt the church was getting too liberal. The Bishop of the Diocese came out in favor of gay marriage, which bothered me.

So, we then tried some non-denominational churches and we were not happy with them either. Going to those churches was like sitting through an hour long lecture. There was no communion, very few prayers, and I felt no reverence at all. We went to one church and the pastor gave his sermon in his karate uniform. That was it, I realized I needed to find a church that was fulfilling and felt holy.

My husband had taken a course in college on the history of Christianity. He told me that the Catholic Church was the original church started by Jesus and the apostles. My mom was not a fan of the Catholic Church. She grew up Episcopal, but went to Catholic school back in the 1950's and 60's. She said the nuns were very mean to her and that the other students would not talk to her because she was not Catholic. So, I grew up thinking the Catholic Church was bad. Still, I could not get out of my mind what Brian had told me. I prayed about it for a long time.

I am not sure why, but I felt almost afraid of the Catholic Church. All I knew about the church was what I read in the news...and we all know how much the liberal media loves God. Anyway, I bought some books on the history of the Catholic Church. I read about how the church started with Peter and how the hierarchy of leaders was established. I learned that the Catholic Doctrine was not something made up and taken lightly, but rather years and years of well thought out and researched information based on the teachings if The Bible. The more I read and prayed, the more it all made sense to me...I talked to my husband Brian about it and he was all for it. So then we decided to take the plunge and attend a Catholic service in our area...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Home! I love hearing or reading conversion stories. I can't wait to hear all about your journey becoming Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a Karate Uniform? That is crazy! My sisters boyfriend is some non-denominational church and she went one week and every time she says "it's weird" everyone plays with their phones and like you said it sounds like one long lecture.

    ReplyDelete